- Daniel Pelka, four, died after sustaining massive blow to the head
- Mother Magdalena Luczak and partner Mariusz Krezolek found guilty of murdering the schoolboy after months of abuse
- Daniel was forced to scavenge food from school bins in the final weeks of his life because he was so hungry
- He arrived at school with a black eye and ended up looking 'like a bundle of bones' but no one stopped the abuse
- Broken arm suffered 14 months before he died was investigated by police
- But despite looking 'like an old man' and regularly injured he was not saved
- Schoolboy's biological father says he hopes the killers rot in jail
- He was 'imprisoned' in a tiny box room and forced to sleep on an old mattress in a room which stank of urine
- To donate to a fund set up in memory of Daniel Pelka click here
Running after his mother, Daniel Pelka appears to be just like any other child in the playground at the end of a school day.
But 36 hours after this CCTV footage captured him leaving his friends, he was dead, murdered by his evil mother Magdelena Luczak, 27, and stepfather Mariusz Krezolek, 34.
They were both found guilty at Birmingham Crown Court today of the murder of the four-year-old who was starved so badly that he was forced to scavenge food from school bins and steal from classmates.
He suffered months of abuse in which he was regularly imprisoned in a locked room at the family home in Coventry, force-fed salt, and made to perform arduous punishment exercises.
Scroll down for video
Final hours: Daniel (circled in green) is seen leaving Little Heath Primary School in Coventry with his mother (circled in yellow) just 36 hours before he died
Mother who would murder him: Daniel, aged four, runs after his mother Mariusz Krezolek hours before he was killed
Murdered schoolboy: Daniel Pelka, aged four, died severely malnourished after being starved in the months leading up to his death by his mother and stepfather
The couple - who tried to blame each other for the abuse Daniel suffered - face life behind bars when they are sentenced on Friday.
- Black eyes, a broken arm and reduced to a 'bag of bones' who scavenged from bins: The catalogue of missed chances to save Daniel Pelka
- Cleaner to killer: The evil mother whose own sister and friends said she put love of drugs, alcohol and vile boyfriend before Daniel's basic needs
- An overpowering stepfather who used Polish Army experience to speed boy's starvation and did not show a shred of remorse during 17 hours in the witness box
But despite the horrific abuse meted out by his mother and stepfather, teachers, the NHS and social workers missed all chances to save Daniel.
During his last two months of life, the child was also sent to school with two black eyes and observed by his class teacher to have bruising on his neck.
A serious case review into the horrifying circumstances of his death will examine why opportunities to save him were missed. The inquiry, set up by Coventry's Safeguarding Children Board, is also expected to scrutinise a failed investigation that was launched after Daniel's left arm was broken 14 months before he died.
After the case, Detective Inspector Chris Hanson described it as 'a callous and wretched murder'. He said the boy's mother and stepfather 'showed him no compassion, no care and not an ounce of kindness'.
Eryk Pelka, Daniel's biological father, said he hoped the two killers would 'rot' in prison.
The two killers, both originally from Poland, hid the horrifying abuse by claiming Daniel had an eating disorder.
Starved, beaten and left to die. Daniel Pelka's final movements
For at least five months before his death, Daniel was kept in the boxroom where he was imprisoned with nothing but a flimsy, stained mattress.
Luczak and Krezolek used vanilla-scented air fresheners to mask the smell of urine in the shabby room.